Monday, September 21, 2015

Starting out in "Little Mexico"!

Hey Mommy! So happy to hear about how everything is going! I'm glad Nana is doing a bit better and that Giselle is now done with tea, good riddance!!! Haha I completely forgot you're all in charge of the primary program, I bet it I'll be awesome! I'm sad I don't get to see it all put together :) you still don't have a music teacher??? What? That's so much to do on your own! Goodness gracious you're so awesome:)

It's been a crazy week full of new experiences haha!! So first off, my last area compared to this area is COMPLETELY different. They call it "little Mexico" here which is really the truth. It's a little/"lotta"ghetto here hahaha but the people, of course, are so open and kind! If you picture Nacho Libre you've pretty much got a picture of my area. Hahaha There are ice cream trucks, elote trucks, people selling tamales on the streets etc. It's been a lot harder than I thought getting back into the groove of speaking Spanish but I'm getting it back little by little! Biking.... (P.s--an Hna. had left a bike for me to use, so I do have a bike!) Well being on a bike  has been an adventure and continues to
be. On Tuesday, I got on the bike for the 1st time and I felt like I had completely forgotten how to maneuver it and I was freaking out, but after another 10 minutes, I finally got the hang of it. It really
isn't horrible except for, I am still figuring out how to stop and start when we stop at red lights and then with traffic and cars and everything it's a little scary haha. The really great thing is that we
have another companionship of Hermanas en el barrio and they have a car, so when we go to district meeting or church or like today on p-day, we drive with them and do things together which has been a relief BUT biking is still tough, especially since this is one of the hottest areas in the mission... Another plus, is that our little apartment has a little A/C unit in the bedroom which is a lifesaver
when we get home at the end of the day! :)

My new companion is Sister Evans, she's from Utah and she has been out on her mission for almost a year and she's been in and out of this area a couple times, so the barrio knows her really well and she knowsthe members of the barrio. The Bell Gardens ward, is so sweet! They remind me of our branch, Gate City. They even had a multicultural night a few days before I got here. The members are super sweet and I am getting accustomed to the Hispanic food again haha :) (I'm gonna be honest for 2 seconds, just because you're my mommy and I just want to tell you exactly how I'm feeling: It's a little frustrating because I feel as though I have been moved around a lot and every time I get settled in an area, I get moved and it's tough. It's also hard because the other pair of sisters and my companion have all been companions with one another and have all had fun memories and
know the members of the ward etc. so they bond. And I'm just off to the side. I never thought I would ever have to feel left out on my mission, but I do. I'm trying to stay positive because I know I'm here
for a reason and I know that there are people who need to hear this message but because I keep getting switched around I feel super new and like I will always be new. I don't know. I just needed to rant for a second. I'm feeling a little lonely so I miss you guys, now more than ever, plus they are all nearing the end of their missions. I get what you mean about feeling like I'll never see you but we will and sometime soon we'll laugh and cry about the separation.)

Anywayssss the good things that happened this week: we got elotes! Yummy corn on the cob with cheese and mayo and chile... Super good! We also accidentally crashed a fiesta for one of the families little girls, (we went to a members house for dinner but they forgot we were coming so they still welcomed us and we stayed) and it was an all out Hispanic party, with a jumpy house, musica, snow cones etc. the whole shaBANG! It was nice to be able to see and get introduced to a lot of
members before Sunday. So that was fun. The work here of course, is very different in that everyone here is open to the message, because they say "anything from God is good" but a lot of them don't understand the Restoration and what makes this church so special. Here we really have to check for understanding and we have to make sure they have a real desire to know more and not just to talk about God and the bible!

All in all, all is well! Still figuring out the area and getting to know investigators but I will have more to report on next week! I love you guys and pray for you everyday. Sorry I have no pictures this week
but I don't have a library card so I couldn't load my pictures from the week on the computer. :p
Remember that Heavenly Father is mindful of you and wants you to be happy, he is only a prayer away! Have a great week!!! Love you!!!!!!
Con mucho amor, xoxoxoxoxoxo
-Hermana Abreu

No comments:

Post a Comment